The Slim & Trim Cookbook
Skinny Mozzarella Sticks with Pomodoro Sauce
- 4 Part Skim Mozzarella, 1-in. slices
- 6 slices White Bread (or 1 12 cups prepared breadcrumbs)
- 2 Eggs
- 4 tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- For Pomodoro Sauce:
- 1 tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 can Tomatoes, diced
To make Mozzarella Sticks:
1. Cut each 1-inch piece of mozzarella in half and set aside.
2. Tear bread into smaller pieces and place in a food processor. Whirl until desired coarseness. Set breadcrumbs on a plate.
3. Whisk eggs in a bowl. Dip cheese in eggs until completely covered. Allow excess egg to drip back into bowl. Coat cheese in breadcrumbs. Repeat dipping cheese in eggs and breadcrumbs to coat a second time. Press breadcrumbs so they stick to cheese.
4. Heat a large nonstick pan with 4 tablespoons olive oil. Fry cheese slices 1-2 minutes each side and repeat the process. Transfer fried cheese to a plate and serve with pomodoro sauce.
To make Pomodoro Sauce:
1. In a large fry pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
2. Stir in tomatoes, and simmer for 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
* It is accepted that sautéing in 2 Tbs. of olive oil is lower in fat and calories than deep-frying. However, there are no reliable estimates as to how much lower in fat and calories. It is dependent on the temperature of the oil and how long they are submerged.