Sweet & Sassy Caprese-tini Salad
Shared by Lisa W. of Red Bank, NJ
- 2 1/2 lb. Fresh Mozzarella Ball, 1/2 inch dice
- 12 Grape or cherry tomatoes, prepared
- 1 large finely diced roasted red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large Jalapeno Pepper, seeded, diced small pieces
- 12 Fresh Strawberries, Washed and Quartered, prepared
- 2 firm-ripe California avocado (8 to 10 oz), chopped fine in food processor
- 1 1/4 cup fresh spearmint leaves, chopped fine in food processor
- 1 1/4 cup Fresh Basil Leaves, chopped fine in food processor
- 1 tbs Fresh Lime Juice, prepared
- 1 large Fresh Shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cup White Balsamic Vinegar, prepared
- 1 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil, as needed, prepared
- 1 1/4 cup Sea salt, prepared
- 1 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar, prepared
- Advance Preparation. Quarter the tomatoes and place in a small bowl. Add enough white balsamic vinegar to cover, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Cover and refrigerate overnight (and up to one week).
- Preheat an oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the red bell pepper on a sheet pan and roast in the oven 30 minutes or until the pepper is charred all over.
- Remove from the oven and wrap tightly in foil to cool. When the pepper is cool, peel off and discard the skin, remove and discard the stem and seeds. Put in small bowl, drizzle with olive oil, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Rinse and quarter the strawberries (drain but do not dry them), sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar and place in a covered container and refrigerate overnight.
- Dice the roasted pepper and jalapeno and toss to combine. In a small bowl combine roasted pepper, jalapeno, tomatoes and strawberries.
- Divide the cheese among four martini glasses; repeat the process with the tomatoes and the strawberries, layering each and ensuring all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Top each salad with a few of the sliced shallots and drizzle a little olive oil over the mix.
- Cut the avocadoes, remove the pits, and place the flesh in a small food processor along with the lime juice, basil leaves, mint and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Puree until smooth and transfer the mix to a piping bag.
- Take the avocado mixture and pipe three "balls" approximately 1/2 inch each in a row on top of each salad (these are the "olives" on top of the martini).